Clinton Door

Saturday, November 23, 2013

In the Beginning.....

So, it is probably the fall of 1957. There is this couple who have the new baby that is four months old...which would be around October 1957. The holidays are on the brink of beginning. I would imagine this happening in December, with all the Christmas festivities shining. The test comes back positive...yep, there is going to be another baby born into this household! WHAT??? So says the mama.... I do not want another baby! I have a four month old with three other children! What am I going to do?? This mama was not a happy camper! So this daddy heard the last he was going to hear about her "woe is me" words. So, he conjured up something that made that mama mad and she changed her resolve. A visit to the doctor within the next month, after scheming with the doctor, there was a plan that would shake her up. This husband handed to his wife money to take care of this pregnancy she didn't want. She was shocked, she was angry and threw the money back to both the doctor and her husband. I feel sure there were some choice words that were thrown as well. So, here I sit, the rest is history and I am thankful for a mama this was pro-life!

I did not know this story until I was an adult. I often wondered if she made it up...but who would make such a story up! And I also remembered growing up hearing that I was not planned, I was hoped to be a boy, I was found on the doorstep to you don't look like anyone, are you really ours? Imagine what this did to this ole girl! There was always laughter associated with those words, but words like that didn't bring laughter to me on the inside.

I have heard through a few family members, I wasn't held much. Mama was tired, there was so much going on in our family. Because of this, I have zero pictures of me when I was an infant but I do have a picture when I was two.... I look a little waif-ish:) but it is one of my favorite pictures. I will share this in my next post as there is a story that goes along with that picture, that believe it or not I remember! 

Even as a young child, I always questioned my place in this family and my place in this world. It was years later that I discovered Psalm 139

13 For you created my inmost being;
     you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.


Praise be to God!!! He knew me before I was ever born...He thought of me before anyone else even knew I was going to exist! He has a plan for my life! Yes and Amen!!!

No comments: